FAC-SIMILE OF THE BLACK-LETTER PRAYER-BOOK: Containing manuscript alterations and additions made in the year 1661, out of which was fairly written the Book of common prayer: subscribed, December 20, A.D. 1661, by the Convocations of Canterbury and York, and annexed to the Act of Uniformity, 13 & 14 Car. II., C. 4, A.D. 1662. (together with) FACSIMILE OF THE ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT OF THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER. Signed By Convocation December 20th, 1661, and Attached to the Act of Uniformity, 1662 (13 & 14 Charles 2. Cap. 4).
Place Published: London
Publisher: Longman & Co., et al / Eyre & Spottiswoode et al
Date Published: 1871 / 1891
Edition: First editions thus
Condition: First volume neatly rebacked preserving all original materials, front inner hinge starting, but heavy sewing tapes holding firm, some foxing to endpapers, text mostly unopened. Second volume: Moderate edgewear, mostly to spine ends and corners, some finger smudging to to title and intro pages, text unopened
Book Id: 21517
(2 volumes). First volume: ,  pp., folio (16 x 10.5 inches), contemporary dark brown cloth with blindstamped ornaments to boards, gilt spine title. Second volume: , 544,  pp.; folio (15 x 10.5 inches), bound in same style as first volume. First volume with presentation inscription by Lady Georgina Home-Drummond dated June 1913 and bookplate of George Stirling Home Drummond on front pastedown. Binder's ticket of James Truscott & Son, London on rear pastedown.
Photo-lithographic facsimiles of the original 17th-century volumes. The first book represents a true facsimile of the "Booke of Common Prayer" printed by Robert Barker in 1636 and edited, corrected, and amended by bishops of the church in 1661 and approved by Convocation as the official text of the revised Book of Common Prayer. This book, with all the marginalia, notes, redactions, etc. was preserved in the House of Lords where it is generally known as "The Convocation Book." The second volume, published in 1891 as a companion to the foregoing, is a true facsimile of the fair copy manuscript that was prepared in 1661 from the "Convocation Book" and formally attached to the Act of Uniformity in 1662. This manuscript is generally referred to as the "Annexed Book" and was the textual source for the published 1662 edition of the Book of Common Prayer, the text which remains the official prayer book of the Church of England. (See Ratcliffe, Edward C. "The Booke of Common Prayer, its making and revisions mdxlix - mdclxi" p. 109-110).