Stuttgart: Julius Hoffmann, 1910. First edition. Hardcover. , 630 pp., profusesly illustrated with 100s of reproductions from photographs, drawings, plans, etc., 76 color plates; quarto, beige cloth with cover title and ornament stamped in dark brown. Covers moderately soiled, surface scratches to rear cover, half-title page smudged, else about very good and internally near fine. Item #22164
Ninth annual compilation of 12 numbers of the influential German architectural journal "Moderne Bauformen." Contents includes residential architecture, architectural ornament and furnishings, as well as public and commercial buildings. This copy with the ink stamp of San Francisco architectural firm Cunningham and Politeo on front free endpaper and title page. Architectual partners Harold Louis Cunningham and Matthew V. Politeo had their offices in the Chronicle Building at the corner of Kearney and Market Streets in the first decade of the 20th century. Among their built works were the Eddy Street Hotel at 141-145 Eddy St. (1908, standing); the New Alcazar Theatre No. 3 at 260 O'Farrell St. (1911, demolished 1962); Grauman's Imperial Theatre at 1077 Market St. (1912, standing); and the T & D Theatre at 419 11th Street, Oakland, reportedly the first movie palace on the West Coast. (1916, demolished 1978).